Saturday 28 January 2012

A Letter from Yamuna

A Letter from Yamuna
Hello Children,
I am Yamuna. You also know me as Jamuna, as I am called by people in general. I am a River… a very big river.
I am writing this to introduce myself to you and to make a last ditch attempt in seeking your assistance to help me survive …
As Yami, you will find my reference in many mythological writings of Vedic periods. As revealed in Rig Veda, I am daughter of Sun God, Surya, and Sharanyu and am twin sister of a very loving brother Yama (popularly known as Yamaraj, considered God of Death). I am holder of infinite love and compassion, and can grant freedom even from death, a realm of my brother.
You know, I am revered as Goddess Yamuna by a huge majority of people. It is said, “Simply by bathing in the Yamuna, anyone can diminish the reactions of their sinful activities." (Krishna Book, Chapter 38)”. Lord Krishna during his childhood used to play with his friends around me. I just loved Krishna. In fact, it is said that the “clear blue” color of my water signifies my love for Shyam (Lord Krishna)!
Geographically speaking, I originate from 6387 Meters above sea level from Yamunotri glaciers, in Uttarakhand/Uttaranchal. I pass through Shivalik hills, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi and finally into Uttar Pradesh where I happily merge with Ganga, a river that is epitome of asceticism and higher knowledge. You will perhaps be surprised to know that the location of our merger, in the holy city of Prayag (Allahabad), is the epicenter of largest gathering of humankind during Kumbh Mela every 12 years! No other festival, anywhere in the world, attracts so many people at one place during a particular period of time. Ganga and I truly bow to the love and affection shown by the people in these times.
Over the last so many years however, I have been sad, in fact, Very Sad. I have lost the zeal to flow freely, uninhibited and unabated, as I used to for thousands of years. I have been brought to this sorry state by the very people whom I have loved and served over all these years. 
I am no more the pure divine river I used to be. You see… I am polluted. All my defenses have been breached with impunity.  I am abused with dumps of organic and inorganic waste at various places throughout my journey, from Yamunotri to Allahabad. What makes me even sadder, however, is that intrusions at other places pale in comparison to the waste, bacteriological contamination that I have to undergo while I flow through the National Capital Territory, the ‘Delhi Segment’ as it is called. Millions of metric tons of Industrial waste and sewage (not to forget untreated toxic waste, undetected pesticides, agricultural waste, Dead Body dumps, immersion of Idols, etc.) is dumped and pumped into me every single day. It has not only polluted me, it has ruined the biodiversity of the eco system within and around me. Such dastardly act over last many years has rendered me sick and has deeply hurt my eternal soul. Yet, not many seem to be bothered.
Not that no remedial actions have been taken to restore my health and glory. In fact, credit should be given to Government of India (GOI) for a lot of work that is being done to conserve and clean me up. GOI’s, National River Conservation Plan (NRCP), started a flagship program called ‘Yamuna Action Plan’, an initiative that started almost 2 decades ago. This plan undertakes Water conservation steps like building higher capacity Sewage Treatment Plants (STP) across my stretch of flow, Rehabilitation and Replacement of Trunk Sewers, Intercepting and diverting flow of sewers/drainage to STPs, building low cost sanitation facilities (to prevent open defecation on my stretch of flow), Increasing electric crematory capacity (to help reduce the cremation of bodies on my Ghats), Recycling water, conducting public awareness programs on water conservation and so on.  I hear that billions of Rupees, including major contributions by Japan Bank of International Cooperation (JBIC), have been spent on water conservation activities. I am indebted to the people for such initiatives. However, I am not cleaned yet. All these steps are seemingly failing to reduce the inflow of contaminated material into my being.
Such apathy towards me makes me really angry sometimes. Nonetheless, I cannot but make a humble request to you… Please save me. Save me, because you neither had anyone before me nor will you have anyone after me to depend on. I am one of my own kinds in this world. Without doubt, I have had a long life. I may be breathing my last breaths today, but I want to live… live for many more thousands of years. I want to be a provider of fertile land, pure drinking water, and exotic aquatic species to the habitation around me. However, that can only happen if I can maintain an uninterrupted, healthy and uncontaminated flow of water.
It is here my friends, that I seek your help, care and attention. For me, you, the kids of today are my only remaining hope in the immediate future. Take a pledge; promise me that you will spread awareness in, and around, your society on water conservation, water preservation and water disposition methods and benefits.
Tell the world, that if they don’t help in resurrecting me today, they may have to lead a thirsty life in future. Or as I keep telling anyone who bothers to listen “Save me - To save you”
Still yours,
Yami (Yamuna)
******
Its Montoo..

No comments:

Post a Comment